Today and each day of this week, choose the most colorful plant-based foods: dark green leafy greens, bright red peppers, deep purple blueberries, vibrant red cranberries and many more! The beauty of these foods is that when you eat them, you feel their beauty and vibrancy, making you feel radiant and alive. Every day for one week, try to include at least one plant-based food from each color of the rainbow. See how you feel, focus and move better. We bet that you will continue this practice once you feel and see the benefits!
Check out some of our favorite plant-based foods and their benefits for radiant health :
- Avocados-healthy fats, 4 g protein each, high in lutein and glutathione
- Beans-perfect balance of protein and carbohydrate, up to 8 g fiber per serving, high in antioxidants and anthocyanins (esp black beans!), great for digestion, fight cancer and heart disease
- Blueberries-high in anthocyanins, 3 g fiber per serving, shown to improve short term memory
- Cacao-super high in flavonoids such as epicatechin (also found in tea and red wine), fights heart disease and prevents hypertension; theobromine stimulates blood flow creating focus and clarity.
- Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussel sprouts)-contain sulfur compounds that fight cancer and heart disease, high in fiber helping with digestion, and creates glowing skin through the green chlorophyll compound (choose organic and dark greens!)
- Flax-contains lignins which may help to balance hormones. Just 2 tbsp contains 4 g fiber and 3 g omega-3’s. Chia seeds are very similar in that they contain lots of fiber and omega-3’s, but unlike flax, they are also choc-full of antioxidants!
- Garlic/onions-contain allicin which is a substance that has antiviral and antibacterial properties. They’ve also been shown to fight cancer and heart disease, and have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Ginger-improves digestion, aids in immune support. Only 2 g of ginger (1 Tbsp fresh or 1 tsp powdered ginger) has been shown to have the same effect as NSAIDs to pain relief/arthritis.
- Green tea-contains epicatechinis and catechins which are powerful antioxidants that fight cancer and heart disease. Green tea also has anti-aging properties as the catechins act as free radical scavengers. The compound EGCG that is in green tea has been shown to increase metabolism.
- Nuts and seeds-almonds, walnuts, pistachios and pumpkin seeds are our favorites, but any nuts or seeds will do. They have the perfect balance of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats. They have 3-5 g fiber per serving, can be rich in omega-3’s and are super high in antioxidants. All of these nutritional benefits leads to beautiful skin, controlled blood sugar and a focus mind.
- Spinach (and other leafy greens)-contain tons of carotenoids which help to protect from skin cancer (from the inside out) and have anti-aging/wrinking capabilities. They are also high in iron, folate, magnesium, calcium and vitamin C.
- Turmeric- one of the most powerful plant-based foods, it’s been show to have greater effects than anti-inflammatory medication. It also may detoxify the liver and prevent Alzheimers disease.
- Whole grains-oats, freekeh, quinoa all contain an abundant amount of B vitamins and fiber, which are needed for digestion and glycemic control. Just 2.5 servings a day may result in 21% less risk of heart disease.
ps. you'll also find lots of these fabulous foods in our chocolates!