We have arrived to the second to last weekly intention! Since Earth Day is just around the corner (April 22nd) we thought it would be fun to start thinking about what we can do now. Weekly intention #11 is green your home, your life, and your habits-nothing is a small act here. Any small eco-friendly act can make a big difference. Here are 10 SIMPLE things you can do to help maintain a pristine earth, clean air and healthy lifestyle every day.
1. Reduce, reuse and recycle. This not only helps the earth but it feels very empowering. Buy only what you need, support local growers, carry a cloth bag for purchases, and reuse old bottles and bags.
2. Give away old clothes, toys, electronics and other barely-used items. This environmental cleanse is good for the planet, you and your recipients.
3. Wash laundry in cold water and line dry clothes that do not have to go into the dryer. If you want your clothes soft and fluffy place them in the dryer on the fluff setting for 10 minutes after they are dry.
4. Bike or walk in place of driving. Burn calories while saving the earth-can’t beat it!
5. Purchase products from green companies. Here is a great list of the Top 10 Green Companies.
7. Cook vegetable-based meals at least once a day or one full day per weekusing local produce. Plants require much less resources to grow than producing meat and dairy. Choose organic when you can. Here is a list of the Dirty Dozen that should always be organic whenever you purchase them.
8. Compost your food and biodegradable packaging. This is a great way to let food scraps and packaging decompose naturally. Here is a quick video on composting.
9. Opt for silence one day out of the week-no television, no ipod, no computer, no distraction! Great for the planet as well as your mind, body and soul (a nicobella favorite).
10. Instead of going to the gym (drive car, workout on treadmill, watch tv, listen to radio=lots of energy) get some exercise outside. Walking, running, biking, hiking and swimming are as good for your physique as the gym, and may be even better for your mind as you breathe in the fresh air and smell the spring flowers.