Happy Sunday! As many of you know our passions spread way beyond chocolate. Of course we LOVE dark chocolate. But a big reason that we love dark chocolate, aside from it's ridiculous yumminess, is its plant-based origin. Being plant-based means it's a better choice for the environment, better choice for animals and better choice for YOU! Here's what we are reading this week in nutrition, the environment, animal welfare and more...
Nutrition and Health
The Dirty Diet: How to Eat Your Way to Better Sex (with input from yours truly ;) )
Garlicky Kale Salad With Moroccan Chickpeas
1 1/2 c Kale
1 1/2 c Spring Greens
1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground chili pepper
1 tsp Spanish paprika (or sweet paprika)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground garlic
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup (loosely packed) cilantro
Juice of 2 lemons
1 Tbsp white vinegar
2 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup filtered water
1/8 tsp cayenne (optional)
How To Make It:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Place chickpeas in a small bowl and add the oil. Stir so that the chickpeas are completely covered with the oil.
- In a separate small bowl, combine all dry spices together and stir.
- Sprinkle the dry spices on top of the chickpeas, using 1/2 of the mixture first. Stir well, then add the second half of the mixture.
- Coat a baking sheet with veggie oil to prevent sticking.
- Place the chickpeas on the sheet and bake for 35-40 minutes, until crispy.
- Rinse and drain the kale and spring mix.
- Massage the kale with clean hands until it's nice and soft.
- Place both the kale and spring mix in a large salad bowl.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a single serve blender.
- Blend well.
- Taste the dressing and add a little more salt if needed or water if too thick. Depending on your taste you can add more garlic cloves or ginger (I personally love ginger so tend to add more).
- Add the dressing in the large salad bowl with the kale and spring mix and toss until the greens are fully coated.
- Add ground black pepper to taste.
- Remove chickpeas from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas to the salad for an awesome tasty, crunch!
- Place in a pretty bowl and enjoy!