Gluten Free Vegan Oatmeal Walnut Hemp Scones Posted on 18 Jun 19:03 , 0 comments
Are you a scone lover? What's awesome about scones is that you can enjoy them as an afternoon treat with a cup of tea or grab one for breakfast on your way out the door. What's even more awesome about these particular scones is that they are lower in sugar than traditional scones and high fiber, omega 3's, protein and healing phytonutrients.
We added walnuts for extra crunch and nutrition but you can add pretty much anything you want — cranberries, blueberries, pecans or any other healthy ingredients you have in the fridge.
They only take about 20 minutes total to make and once they are made they make a perfect quick grab and go breakfast or snack.
Make sure to let us know what you think!
- 1 3/4 c gluten free oats
- 1 1/4 c brown rice flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 c chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp vegan margarine (we recommend Miyoko's Kitchen because it's palm oil free!)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (we used avocado oil)
- 1/2 c unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1/4 c pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray or place parchment paper on a cookie sheet or use what we used — silicone molds (We love them! No sticking and cooks evenly.)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk well so they are all blended.
- On the stove top in a small pot, melt margarine. Add oil, almond or soy milk, maple syrup and vanilla and stir.
- Once margarine is melted and wet ingredients are stirred together pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture. With a spatula mix the wet and dry ingredients together until it forms a dough like mixture (might have to use your bare hands a bit too!).
- Flatten the dough onto a lightly floured surface and cut into 8-10 wedges or scoop with a spoon into silicone molds. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Top it with your favorite nut butter or preserves. We blended pecans, maple, coconut oil and a splash of bourbon together to make a delicious maple bourbon pecan spread!