Being a northern girl living in the south I had to see why all the fuss about grits. So I tried them cheesy vegan-style and turns out they’re really tasty on top of avocado toast!
The nutritional yeast adds plant-based protein and B12, and avocado adds healing phytonutrients and essential fats for your morning dose of energy.
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened plant-based milk of choice
- 1 cup grits
- 3/4 tsp salt (it makes about 4-5 servings so you won’t get all of this salt in one sitting!)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped scallion
- 2 Tbsp chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Miyoko's Kitchen Cultured Vegan Butter (optional if you want it buttery, which is pretty freaking delicious.)
- smoked paprika (a must!)
How to make
- Boil water, milk and salt.
- Add grits slowly while stirring.
- Reduce heat and cover, let cook and stir occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Add nutritional yeast and 1/4 cup water, scallions and optional ingredients.
- Stir well.
- Add 1/2 cup serving on top of avocado toast (using whole grain bread, half of an avocado and mixed greens in between the bread and avocado) top with smoked paprika and black pepper and save remaining grits for dinner!
Try it and let me know what you think!