Chipotle Chickpea Salad Wrapped in Collard Greens Posted on 17 Aug 12:22 , 0 comments
Not only is this power plant-based wrap bursting with flavor but it's super easy to prepare! It's also very versatile. You can add the chickpea salad to a green salad, make it as a sandwich and add sprouts, wrap it in tortilla or mix it into some healthy whole grains like brown rice or wheat berries. We tend to enjoy things spicy for the flavor and the nutritional benefits of spices, therefore we add lots. However, if you like less spice, start with 1/2 tsp of the smoked paprika, cumin and chili. Taste it, then add more if needed. Enjoy!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional if you'd like more protein and crunch)
- 4 Tbsp Chipotle Vegenaise (by Follow Your Heart) or other vegan mayo of choice
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 1/2 c scallions
- 1/2 c cilantro
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- squeeze of one lime
- pepper to taste
- 4-5 large washed collard green leaves
How to make
- Add chickpeas and the almonds to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork so that about half of the chickpeas and almonds are mashed and half are still whole.
- To a separate small bowl add the mayo, maple syrup or coconut nectar, lime juice, smoked paprika, cumin, chili, and sea salt then mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Pour the mayo mixture over top of the chickpeas and almonds, mix well so that all of the chickpeas and almonds are coated.
- Add the scallions and cilantro and mix well, once again.
- Wash and open the collard green leaves, add a healthy portion of the chickpea salad and any other toppings you love. We added avocado, radish, tomato, and purple onion but you can also add sprouts, hemp seeds or pumpkin seeds for more texture and flavor.
- The chickpea salad will keep covered in the fridge for up to five days, making it great for a grab and go lunch or snack!