I’m not one for squash to be honest and, if you’re a restaurant with a veggie dish that consists of mostly squash, chances are I’m not going to order it. Sorry. That said, I recently received beautiful summer crookneck squash in a Fresh Harvest box and was, in fact, excited to have something local and new to try. A great way to get inspired is to try new things and what better way to experiment than with something local and in season.
This vegan garlicky cheesy squash did not disappoint and it was super nourishing with protein-powered almond meal and nutritional yeast. As for the squash - it’s high in manganese, vitamin C, beta carotene, lutein and fiber.🌱 So it seems that I've been missing out on the nourishment that comes with this nice-looking vegetable.
image courtesy of mastercook
- 4 crookneck squash, sliced
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt (or more to taste), black pepper to taste
How to make
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine squash, olive oil, salt and pepper - mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond meal, nutritional yeast, oregano, and garlic powder.
- Dip slices of squash in almond mixture and coat on both sides, press on the coating to stick.
- Place the squash in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Spray each slice with an extra coating of olive oil if you want it crispy.
- Bake for 20 minutes, turning the squash pieces over after 10 minutes.
- If you want it extra crispy, broil it for a minute before serving.
- Enjoy the yumminess!