Why Veg Week?
There are 52 weeks in a year. Why not make one of them meat-free? That’s the idea behind VegWeek, a nationwide (and increasingly international) campaign empowering thousands of people to pledge to choose vegetarian foods for at least seven days as a way to discover the many benefits and flavors of vegetarian eating. Every time we choose a meat-free meal, we can protect our health, the planet, and animals!
What's In It For You?
In addition to the benefits noted above, when you sign up to take the 7-Day VegPledge, you’ll receive lots of deals, discounts — and you might win prizes — from companies like Beyond Meat, Follow Your Heart, Herbivorous Butcher, and yours truly, nicobella organics.
Ready to get started with this deliciously flavorful recipe?
Chickpea and Spinach Chana Masala
- 1 Tbsp avocado or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 Tbsp ginger, diced (we are ginger junkies, use less if you're not a fan)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (omit if you don't like spicy, add more if you like a lot of spice!)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 (28 oz, bpa free) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (13.5 oz, bpa free) can coconut milk
- 1 (14 oz, bpa free) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 bag Beyond Meat 'chicken' strips (alternatively, you could use another can of chickpeas)
- Squeeze of 1 lime
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/2 c cilantro
- 1/4 c raw cashews
How to Make
- Cook the rice based on the package instructions.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds. Toast the seeds for a minute or two, stirring frequently, until the seeds are golden and fragrant. (Be careful not to burn the seeds.)
- Stir in the onion, garlic, ginger. Cook for about five minutes, stirring often. Stir in the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and salt.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and add in the crushed tomato and juices, chickpeas and Beyond Meat 'chicken' strips. Stir well. Stir in the coconut milk and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or longer to allow the flavors to develop.
- Stir in the spinach and 1/4 cup cilantro until the spinach is wilted.
- Serve the Chana Masala on top of basmati rice. Garnish with more cilantro. Top with cashews.
Makes 6-8 servings and tastes even more delicious the following day!
Let us know what you think.
Plant-based cooking note: Adding spices, such as turmeric, cumin and mustard seed, to your meals adds pops of flavor and mega-nutrition. Popping cumin and mustard seed not only releases their flavors, but also releases their healthy essential oils and nutrients. Use them often!
Do you have a favorite vegan recipe? Please share with us!