One of the most enchanting things about summer is grilling out with friends and family. One point to remember about being vegan is that you never have to give up on all the exciting backyard barbecue favorites. This recipe is fresh, tangy, sweet and crunchy-crisp which is perfect for a poolside summer party!
- whole wheat slider buns
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 head red cabbage, sliced
Stovetop spaghetti squash
- 1/2 6 oz can tomato paste
- 2 peaches, sliced
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Fill a large stock pot with enough water so that the water is above 3 inches high.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half. (carefully, watch your hands as the skin is very tough!)
- Boil the water.
- Place the squash face down in the boiling water until you can easily pierce a fork through the center of the squash.
- Pull the squash out with a fork (it will be super hot from steaming!).
- Place it face up and allow to cool before scraping out the seeds and the squash into a bowl with a fork.
Quick cooking microwaved spaghetti squash
- With a sharp knife make cuts all over the spaghetti squash.
- Put the whole squash into the microwave on medium-high for 5 minutes.
- After the first 5 minutes rotate the squash and set for another 5 minutes.
- If needed, put it in the microwave for a final 15 minutes (total microwave time should be between 10 and 15 minutes).
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scrape the seeds out then scrape the squash into a large bowl with a fork.
- Add the tomato paste, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to a small sauce pan and warm on medium heat.
- While the sauce summers, purée 2 freshly peeled peaches in a blender until smooth.
- Add the purée to the sauce and let it simmer for about 5 minutes and then add it to the spaghetti squash.
- Mix it all up, place onto slider buns with some freshly sliced red cabbage and you have yourself a delicious vegan BBQ slider!
Recipe created by McKinsey Fiveash, nicobella dietetic intern
Hi! My name is McKinsey Fiveash! I am currently an energetic dietetics student with a vegan lifestyle at the University of Georgia and plan to graduate in 2017. Previous to UGA, I played tennis at Roswell High School until I graduated in 2012 and went on to play tennis for Georgia Southern University. I have a love for all of the arts: drawing, painting, playing guitar and mostly singing. While I have always valued Sports and exercise, most of all my passion lies in the art of being healthy through the food we eat! Through all of my research and education so far, I have personally come to the conclusion that living to the fullest, the happiest, and the healthiest, requires a clean, fun, and lively vegan lifestyle! When I'm happy and healthy I am able to explore my other passions to the fullest of my ability! That's what I think life's all about!