You guys are going to want to drink this spicy turmeric dressing. Seriously. However, if drinking the left over dressing is a little strange to you, the excess can easily be used to dress another salad or in a stir fry.
Spicy Turmeric Cucumber Salad is a staple of mine during the summer because it's super easy and refreshing plus who doesn't love a crisp, hydrating cucumber during the summer-especially when it's marinated in delicious healing spices and seeds!
If you don't like spicy heat you can easily omit the cayenne and cut the chili paste in half (or omit altogether). If you like it hot, follow the recipe.
We currently have a few avocados on hand that need to be quickly eaten before going bad so I decided to make an avocado bowl out of them. I cut the cucumbers in quarters so that they perfectly fit in the bowl and could be scooped out with either a spoon or fork. I would say the only thing missing here is cilantro. We brought a big bag of it to a friends house for Easter and left without it, therefore had none in the fridge. (Insert sad face here. Can't live a day without cilantro.) But with or without cilantro, it's still delicious. You can eat the cucumbers by themselves, chop and top them as a garnish for grilled tofu, add them into a rice bowl or mix them with some farmers market greens.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp chili paste
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp tamari (I used miso tamari, but either works)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- 1-2 avocados, split in half, deseeded
- Salt for draining cucumbers
How to Make
Drain the cucumbers
- Once the cucumbers are peeled and sliced, place them in a colander then place the colander in a large bowl. The bowl will be used to trap water dripping from the cucumbers.
- Lightly salt the cucumbers, stirring to make sure they all have a light coating of salt. Let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumbers with your hands, wringing out any excess water.
- Ditch the water and dry out the large bowl.
- Place the drained cucumbers inside the bowl. This process will help the cucumbers absorb the dressing.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sesame oil, apple cider vinegar, chili paste, maple syrup, Tamari, turmeric and cayenne.
- Stir well.
- Pour dressing over the cucumbers and stir.
- Sprinkle white and sesame seeds on top.
- Dish into small bowls.
- Or, cut 1-2 avocados in half and deseed. Cut the cucumbers into small pieces and add to avocado center.
Make this for your next family picnic and wow your guests! (Add cilantro for even more deliciousness.)