Zesty Three Bean Chili in Delicata Squash Bowls Posted on 15 Nov 18:07 , 0 comments
The temperature is finally perfect for chili! Here is a take on a chili bread bowl without the bread. If you haven't tried Delicata squash yet now is a great time-it's in season, tastes delicious, hearty and packed with nutrition. It also makes for the perfect chili bowl. Who doesn't love to eat their bowl when they are finished with the chili!
We used Raw Spice Bar's Sun Dried Tomato Pizza spices to season the squash, but the recipe below will work just fine if you don't have the Raw Spice Bar monthly subscription box. Side note: Highly recommend trying Raw Spice Bar. You receive three new spices a month that inspire new meal creations and add lots of nutrients and flavor to your meals!
- 2 Delicata squash, peeled, ends cut off and squash halved
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes*
- 1 15 ounce can red kidney beans*
- 1 15 ounce can black beans*
- 1 15 ounce can white Northern beans*
- 1 organic yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 organicred pepper, diced
- 2 organic carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 4-5 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 1-2 cups of organic kale (depending on how much you like)
- 1 tsp black mustard seed
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1.5 Tbsp cumin
- 1.5 Tbsp Ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp crushed red pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (plus more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Raw Spice Bar Sun Dried Tomato Pizza Spices (if available)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Handful of basil
How to Make**
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds.
- Brush 2 Tbsp of the olive oil throughout the inside and outside of the squash. Season with salt and pepper or use the Raw Spice Bar Sun Dried Tomato Pizza seasoning (contains sun dried tomatoes, garlic, chiles, peppercorns, onion, oregano, rosemary, thyme if you'd like to make your own spice blend).
- Place the squash on a baking sheet with the inside facing down. Bake for 20-25 minutes (until a fork can easily go through the thickest point).
- Add olive oil to a large pot on the stove top, medium heat.
- Once hot, add the black mustard and fennel seeds. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the pepper, carrots and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and black pepper, crushed red pepper if spicy is desired.
- Add two cans of crushed red tomatoes to the vegetables followed by the black beans, kidney beans, and Northern beans with the liquid.
- Stir well.
- Add the cumin, Ancho chili powder, garlic, crushed red pepper, sea salt and black pepper.
- Add basil and kale.
- Stir well.
- Bring mixture to a boil the turn down on low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and place on a plate, inside facing up.
- Scoop chili into bowl.
- Garnish with basil.
- Top with nutritional yeast.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.
*Recommend BPA free canned tomatoes and beans.
**If you have a crockpot, place all ingredients inside the pot (except for the squash, which will be baked) and cook on low all day. Super simple!
Enjoy this yummy dish that is packed with protein, fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, folate, magnesium and lycopene. You'll feel warm, nourished and happy. :)
To sign up for a Raw Spice Bar monthly subscription and receive some INCREDIBLE and inspiring spices every month delivered to your doorstep use discount code FLAVOR6 and sign up at rawspicebar.com.